Sunday, October 3, 2010

Compound Claims

After reading chapter 6 about compound claims, i have learned many things. But the two things that i found interesting was that the claim is never honest but one action or the other is always done. According to Epstein, a compound claim is one composed of other claims, but which has to be viewed as just one claim. Their example about how the neighbor says "ill return your lawn mower or i will buy you a new one" this statements gets on my nerves because i have been in that situation where one of my friends borrowed my game and never gave it back for at least two years. When i confronted him about it, he said he would buy me a new one or he would buy me another new game. But i guess compound claims has its benefits in which when one action is not done, another one will be done instead. It might not be true but sometimes someone will get their way.

3 comments:

  1. It sucks that you never got your game back, but that example you used for a compound claim is great. It really connects with the definition that is in the book on compound claim. Your example is also interesting because it presents the same problem like the lawn mower example in the book. Compound claims do have its benefits in some situations, but it will come out great for one person, but not the other. It is also interesting to see how people can perceive the statements of compound claims and assume that it is two claims when it actually is just one claim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the specific real life example you provide in your post. I think people use compound claims all the time without realizing that they are making compound claims. It is very true that people use compound claims to get away with some situations, and those claims might get on the nerves of people. I think compound claims are somewhat deceiving people's though because they give more hopes to the audience. The audience might be thinking that the situation will be done either this way or that way, but it will be done. In my opinion, compound claims are one of the ways to negotiate or settle down something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this posting. You have brought up an issue I can definitely relate to. Having someone never return a game you let him or her borrow sucks. That has happened to me plenty of times. I let my next-door neighbor borrow my old Halo game and a controller, and it took him about 2 months of me reminding him to give it back. The same goes for shoes or clothes. I used to let my cousin borrow my shoes all the time. And he would always end up keeping them. Having someone not return your items in a timely fashion is definitely a pet peeve.

    ReplyDelete