Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Interesting

After reading chapter 6 and chapter 7 from Epstein, i find that counterarguments are very effective when negotiating with someone. Say person A wanted to buy a mustang and his or her friend is an environmentalist, he or she would be negotiating from sunrise to sunset about how person A would be killing the earth much faster because of all the air pollution being thrown in the sky. Counterarguments are also good for advertisements because they are effective when talking about something that is important. For example, a teen just got his or her driver's license and they are always texting, one way you can fight this is to say "texting while driving is bad because it can cause severe car accidents or even death". These counterarguments have been used so that people will be persuaded to commit some other action. Overall, i think that counterarguments is a great way to start a conversation when you want to end up arguing instead.

2 comments:

  1. I am on your side this week. I believe that counterarguments are effective too. I never knew I was using counterarguments until I read about it. No one ever tells me, “Hey you are using counterarguments”. So sadly, I never knew what counterarguments were until now. But I am lucky to know what it is now. I think I use counterargument with my sister every day. Both of us always want to talk and never shut up. I want to win the argument, and she wants to win. At the end, we just get mad at each other, but we will always be sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good explanation on counterarguments. It's true though, in regards to what Aria said about not knowing when we use counterarguments. I find that with almost every term in the text, personal experiences help to make more sense of them. I did not even know that half of the arguments we use are listed right in the book. At first I don't understand them until I relate them to my experiences. I also did not know about counterarguments until I read about them, haha. I use them on a daily basis as well. Overall, good job on your examples. Way to break it down.

    ReplyDelete