Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Epstein

After reading "Thank you for arguing" by Epstein, He reminds me of a high school teacher my brother had because he would always win in arguments. The way Epstein writes the book, he seems like he never argues with his family because he knows what to say to avoid an argument. It also surprises me because it actually works; when there were no more toothpaste and he somehow got his son to get a new tube without them arguing, if i was in the son's shoes, i would not have gotten the paste. But due to his Epstein's knowledge of arguments, he made it so that he and his son would not have to argue about going to the basement and getting a new tube of toothpaste.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is good for a family to avoid getting into argument all the time. However, I think that it would b difficult not to argue at all. At the same time, I think that sometime a good, reasonable argument is good. The good and reasonable arguments is good because it allows people to express their thoughts and feelings and also allow people recognize their differences. After reading what you said about your brother's high school teacher, I wonder what kind of strategies he used to win the argument. I think that for most of the reasonable argument, both sides have good and valid reasons. Even in some cases, the argument cannot be "won" because both sides have different set of beliefs and reasons.

    ReplyDelete