Monday, September 6, 2010

The Tests for an Argument to Be Good

According to Epstein, there are 3 things to make an argument good: 1)The premises are plausible, meaning that people would have a good reason for believing something is true. 2) The premises are more plausible than the conclusion, this means that the conclusion can be false due to other people's beliefs. 3) The argument is valid and strong. An example i can give is I knew i was lactose when i had a bad reaction to dairy products. This argument is not valid because it might not be the dairy product, it might be what people used to sterilize the milk or cheese before they sell it that is making me sick. this can also be a good argument when having dinner with friends and they order a large portion on fettuccine alfredo, i can say that i cant eat it because im lactose, and they have to believe it believe i'm the one saying it and i know my body.

2 comments:

  1. I like your examples on being lactose, because my family members claim that they are lactose also. So after reading your post, I'm reminded of my own family, which is nice to relate. I highly doubt my family members are lactose though, but they just don't like to drink milk. Ironically, they can eat regular ice cream! That's something I'm unsure of though. Have you tried this one milk, I think it's called Lact-Aid? It's a lactose-free milk, but I'm not sure. I'm not lactose myself, so I have no idea what it's like on being lactose. I hope you make food selections wisely, in case of any reactions that can happen.

    Have a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha thanks, yes i have heard of it but since i dont drink milk often i dont drink it. Its funny how your family can eat ice cream but cant take in dairy, that's awesome, i wish i can be like that so i wont have any side effects. Tahnks for commenting and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete