Monday, August 30, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

Due to the reading, it sounds like Subjective claim is something said due to a person's opinion while a Objective claim has no opinion.

Ex. Subjective Claim: My friend and I were discussing the movie Expendables and how I thought it was a great action thriller. On the other hand, my friend insisted that Expendables is just another action film and it was boring. This is an subjective claim because I believe that it was great due to all the action stars in one movie. Also because the same action stars would always keep me on the edge of the seat.

Ex. Objective Claim: A group of my friends were having dinner at one of the local pizza parlors around the school, we were talking about how Sylvestor Stallone still has an edge to do another movie, but we were also surprised that he got all the action film stars such as: Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Jason Statham, etc. Then one of my friends stated that Stallone takes steroids and everyone just chimed in saying that he was built before the movie and another saying that a paparazzi caught him with a syringe. This is an Objective claim because Stallone could have taken steroids or he worked really hard for this movie. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Layers,

    I agree with your subjective and Objective claims. I watched The Expendables and of course, everyone has differing opinions about movies and its actors. In regards to your objective claim, I was watching E! news and although you cannot always believe the media and its portrayal of celebrities, I do in fact, remember reading that Stallone did admit to using some human growth hormone to add muscle. He was also busted with almost 50 vials of the hormone in Australia. Good argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you subjective claim. Critiquing movies and other forms of entertainment or art can always be refuted by different opinions depending on a person's perspective. However I am a bit confused about your objective claim. I think that your last sentence throws your example off. If it is an objective as you explained there would only be one answer. People can either confirm that Stallone either used steroids or he did not. This example became a subjective claim when you said "Stallone could have taken steroids or he worked really hard for this movie." The concrete facts would have only supported one statement so that it is clear cut as to whether he did use steroids or not. Your definition of an objective claim and your example seem to be contradicting each other.

    ReplyDelete